• What
    is this?

You've landed on the AMD Portal on AnandTech. This section is sponsored by AMD. It features a collection of all of our independent AMD content, as well as Tweets & News from AMD directly. AMD will also be running a couple of huge giveaways here so check back for those.

PRESENTED BY

We're back with another podcast. This time we start out with a discussion of Borderlands 2 and philosophies on sidequests in games. We briefly talk about TI defocusing its smartphone/tablet SoC business, Brian also gives us a look at the role of the PMIC in a modern ultra mobile platform. AMD's desktop Trinity GPU launch is discussed as well as some of the behind the scenes politics we deal with on a regular basis here.

We mention Samsung's new SSD 840/840 Pro and what the 840 means for driving SSD prices down in the future, and conclude the discussion with more about the iPhone 5 from Brian.

The AnandTech Podcast - Episode 7

Ratings Systems - 50:00
Samsung SSD 840/840 Pro - 01:05:00
iPhone 5 - 01:10:00
Audience - 01:20:00
What's the phone with the best voice quality? - 01:25:00
Purple Haze on the iPhone 5 - 01:28:00

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated. Let us know what you liked, hated and want to hear more of.

• moep - Thursday, October 04, 2012 - link

I stopped listening to Podcasts years ago, but after checking out #1 of the Anandtech Podcast, I look forward to it showing up on my mobile device every week. The pairing of Anand, Brian and Ian is perfect. I can’t get enough of Brian’s fascinating explanations (and rants).

My only suggestion for improvement would be a "personal pick of the week", where you briefly talk about a (possibly obscure) hardware or software product, app or internet service that you have found useful.
  • rs541 - Thursday, October 04, 2012 - link

Thanks for doing these podcasts, I've enjoyed most of them. This one was very low signal-to-noise for me. Granted everyone likes different stuff, and apparently most people liked this, but many of the topics were just very low density, lots of repetition. I have difficulty skipping around using a portable media player while running, scrubbing through a 2 hour podcast on a 2 inch slider. Some podcasts on ITunes have the equivalent of chapters (not sure if that's what they're called). The segments I'm interested in are awesome and the ones I'm not interested in are extraordinarily long! I would love it if you guys could add chapters. Reply
  • maximumGPU - Friday, October 05, 2012 - link

Just to add my voice to the others, love the poscasts! keep them coming!
    As others suggested chapter selection would be a nice addition.
  • Klugfan - Saturday, October 06, 2012 - link

I love that the podcast is high content and low filler. I love that if I don't pay attention for thirty seconds, I may be lost - that means my attention isn't being wasted.

So keep it up. I spent a week trying to find a tech podcast that didn't have me slapping myself awake, and you guys are basically it.
  • risa2000 - Sunday, October 07, 2012 - link

While it is difficult for me to arrange one and half hour for your guys, I must admit, once I do, it is really easy to forget about the time. The technical prowess reminds me John Carmack's keynotes. And listening to Ian's and Brian's different accents even brings some entertainment value ;-).

One question about the artwork in the m4a file you upload to iTunes. Is it intentional? It has been big A for few first episodes, now it is ND :).
  • FrankPdx - Monday, October 08, 2012 - link

Hi,

You guys asked for comments. First I think it is very nice that you don't "overtalk" each other. Second, I like that Anand asks Brian to explain some of the technical terms he uses. And third I really did gain a greater understanding of how camera modules work and the associated shortcomings of them including the "purple haze " issue.

Keep up the good work,

Frank
    Portland Oreon
  • HHCosmin - Thursday, October 11, 2012 - link

hi. since the first podcast i tried to listen to the podcast in firefox but no success. the player shows up for a fraction of a second and then disapears. i'm using firefox 16 but same was with 14 and 15. in ie9 it works just fine. can you do something about it? Reply
  • kylewat - Thursday, October 11, 2012 - link

Hello Anandtech!

I was expecting the iPhone review last week as per your podcast I thought. Also, why is there no podcast this week?
  • darienphoenix - Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - link

I can honestly say that listening to these podcasts is one of the best parts of my week.

Also I love how Brian goes off on tangents way above the average person's knowledge in particular fields, they're hilarious and informative at the same time. The rant about 'purplehazegate' was particularly brilliant.