We're back! Brian and I recorded this one just after the holidays last week. Despite there not being a lot going on release wise, we had a bunch to talk about. Brian gave us updates on his experience with the Lumia 920, Droid DNA and Samsung's Galaxy Camera. I talk a bit about what the future holds for driving smartphone costs down, and we both talked about Nintendo's Wii U.

The AnandTech Podcast - Episode 11

Paul Otellini's Early Retirement - 00:44
Samsung Galaxy Camera - 00:53
Google Nexus 4 LTE - 01:09
Inside the Nintendo Wii U - 01:20
Black Magic Intensity Pro - 01:33
Apple iPad 4 - 01:35

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated.

• iacoa - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

SD slots take space so I don't care too much. But if phone makers are going to remove them then NAND shouldn't be so expensive. If I was Hynix, Samsung, or Micron I would extremely jealous of the margins smartphone makers are making off of NAND, especially Apple. 64 GB for $200? That costs $64 at most. Apple probably gets the best pricing so it costs even less.

$200. For that much money you can get 256 GB SSD.

Like Anand and Brian said smartphones will get cheaper. It will be interesting to see how Apple will react, but I don't think they'll be able to make sky high profits without losing market share.
  • jessicahutchins - Monday, December 03, 2012 - link

oM Reply
  • ssj3gohan - Monday, December 03, 2012 - link

2 further commenta:

at some point brian says he wants phones to default to stop charging when the battery is full and start when its down a couple percent. Why? Thats horrible for battery life! I guess this is a remainder of the nickel-chemistry era 'dont leave your battery in the charger afterits done otherwise you can damage it' or something? If you leave Li+ chemistry cells on the charger they wont damage, like, on the contrary. Its best to keep your phone running on the wall charger as much as possible just sipping power fron AC instead of putting mini charge cycles onto the battery. If anything, that ia what damages your battery. /rant

Second point about removable storage: If like me you dont see phones as having to be replaced every year, its a big plus to have removable storage. Now 64GB may seem like more than anubody needs, but 4 years from now this phone will still have utility to me, and I would like to be able to then insert my dime-a-dozen 512GB sdxc card. Like my 2003 hp wm6 pda, which still, through a driver hack, accepts then unheard of 16GB sd cards. It still functions great as a 10h battery life sd/720p video player.
  • stedfan - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

Like everything else on this site, it is professional and in depth - just wish it was longer :) Reply
  • dishayu - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

I see galaxy camera as disruptive in a different way than you guys do. Leaving aside the camera aspect of the device for a second, I believe the galaxy camera is the first device that represents future of mobile communication and a 100% shift to :
    - voice over internet (abandoning conventional mobile phone calls)
    - Internet based IMs (replacing SMSes)

We've seen data-only sim card support in multiple tablets but this is the first one in the phone(-ish) form factor, which makes it disruptive for me. It has been my idea of perfect mobile device for long. I see no utility of conventional cellphone calling if and when we can have fast and cheap data plans on out mobile devices. You pay a monthly flat fee for unlimited mobile data and use if for communication/entertainment. That would be sort of commoditizing of cellular networks. Customers buy whatever sim card gives them unlimited access to mobile data at fast-enough speeds at the cheapest rates.
  • Pityme22 - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

Brian,

Could you please test if Lumina works as an IP phone using Skype? Thank you in advance.
  • nathanddrews - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

Fantastic. Reply
  • kylewat - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

Is a great scrabble word! Reply
  • kylewat - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

Who cares if the phone makers are making a ton of money? The consumer surplus is huge. These devices have fundamentally changed the world for the better, and for $200 up front.

My two cents
  • babgvant - Friday, November 30, 2012 - link

I have to disagree w/ the assertion that Apple making its own CPU is an indication of market failure. Having their own design, being able to tweak it to suite their needs and drive their schedule is a fairly large competitive advantage versus other mobile devices which must be designed around the off-the-shelf offerings.

Also Apple has a history in seeking their own silicon, it just proved too expensive to keep doing it at the volumes they were pushing with Intel's process tech marched on. If ARM had a competitive PC solution at the time when they made the switch to x86 I don't think anyone would have been surprised if they did the same thing there as they did in mobile.