Back to Article

• juampavalverde - Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - link

Holy cow! 8 DIMM slots on a desktop board, that's just... massive. No PCIe 3.0 for Intel, mhh this guys arent going straight with the chipsets (integrated or not). Reply
  • ph0tek - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

I'm really happy to see 8 DIMM's. All previous X79 boards i see only had 4 DIMM's which was pathetic for a highend platform. I would have had to downgrade my memory capacity from 24GB to 16GB, unacceptable. But now i can have 32GB with 8 DIMM slots, nice. Reply
  • knedle - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

Actually, there are 8GB DDR3 DIMMs, but they are so expensive, that it's unimaginable, anyone would want to buy them, for their price.
    Anyway 8 times 8GB = WOW!! 64GB of RAM! :D
  • hechacker1 - Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - link

We can only hope there's a decently priced enthusiast part like the 920 was. I remember jumping on it and a mobo when it got around the $300 mark.

So far, a good investment considering the state of the art of high-end computing really hasn't moved forward (though the lower end chips have come a long way for way less money).

That and something with 6 or 8 cores that doesn't break the bank.
  • etamin - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

nice to see some USB 3.0 onboard headers. Sadly, still no SB controller integration. Does anyone know how many PCIe lanes a NEC/Renesas controller takes up from the SB (if it does work that way)? and can these PCIe lanes be saved if the USB 3.0 controller were integrated in the SB? Reply
  • Paazel - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

a) 12 SATA connections? Really??

b) Looks like a new HSF mounting mechanism!!! Looks similar to what you would use with a back plate. Pushpins RIP.

Unrelated, but that Creative X-Fi onboard is cool; why doesn't ASUS integrate their XONAR products?
  • MonkeyPaw - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

I agree on those pushpin HSFs. Such an inferior solution to AMD's simple clip and ARM. I guess it's still an improvement over the old "screwdriver" clips that left you wondering if you were about to mangle your motherboard. Reply
  • Mumrik - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

"a) 12 SATA connections? Really??"

What's you point? Did you want more?

I'm already using the 8 I have on my P67 board and am rather annoyed that so few boards have more...
  • knedle - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

Actually, 4 of available SATA3 ports, are SAS capable, so they can be connected to hdd backplates, usually one hdd backplanes takes in 2 SAS connectors, and lets you connect up to six drives.
    This way you can use 4 SAS ports, to get 12 SATA drives + 8 SATA drives from onboard SATA ports = 20 hdds, seems enough for me. ;)
  • IanCutress - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

Looking good. Reply
  • Filiprino - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

I'm seeing PCI Express Gen 3 on all boards.
    8GB of RAM per socket is massive. With current 4GB DIMMs that means up to 32GB per CPU.
    USB 3.0 is native or it's a NEC chipset who's doing the work?
  • Filiprino - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

Woops, I meant 8 DIMM sockets, with 4GB DIMMs it's a total of 32GB. Reply
  • etamin - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

The MSI board description seems to indicate a maximum of 64GB supported Reply
  • Filiprino - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

That is using 8GB DIMMs. 8x8 = 64GB. Reply
  • knedle - Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - link

yeah, but 8GB DIMMs are so expensive it hurts (my heart and would hurt my wallet even more ;) ). Reply