Back to Article

• Stuka87 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Typo?

"After playing with the iPhone 5S, I played with the new iPhone 5S"
  • LarsBars - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Additionally: "The iPhone 5C also comes in two new colors, a space gray, and gold color which complement the white color that was previously available." Reply
  • kyuu - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Pretty sure he meant "After playing with the iPhone 5C". Reply
  • binaryvisions - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

I'm interested to find out how reliable/repeatable/non-finicky the fingerprint reader is. Most fingerprint readers, in my experience, are not 100% and require re-swiping or re-pressing. In my opinion, the fingerprint reader is a killer feature, probably the most interesting thing about this phone, but if it's not near-bulletproof, it's going to go the way of face unlock - an interesting feature to show off, but not very practical in its implementation. Reply
  • bountygiver - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

I'm more amazed by the 120fps video than the fingerprint reader XD.
    I think fingerprint reader will work better if they allow multi user in a device. So hopefully the jailbreak community will implement it. Otherwise it's just a fast way of typing password without remembering it.
  • binaryvisions - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Really, though, a "fast way of typing [a] password" is exactly what I want. I want my phone to unlock when I am holding it, and fall back to a passcode or pattern when someone else is holding it. If it's meaningfully insecure, or a pain to use, it becomes useless since a password is not really THAT hard to enter.

If it's immediate, reliable and secure, though, it becomes a substantial improvement to how people use their devices. People without passcodes will be more inclined to use a secure lock mechanism, and people with passcodes now get a much more convenient and useful way to unlock their device.

It'd also be interesting to allow the use of both simultaneously - allowing a 4-digit "quick" PIN plus a fingerprint to substitute for a long and secure passphrase.
  • mvmaastricht - Monday, September 16, 2013 - link

I'm confident that Apple will gradually add fingerprint features, like multiple user support (handing over the 5S to your child, and selected apps will be disabled, etc.).
    It's like they always have worked. Focussing that way, they make sure to implement features right, while letting users slowly get used to new features.
  • nerd1 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

4K 30fps and 720p 120fps is now becoming standard (galaxy note 3 supports both) Reply
  • CyberAngel - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

or UHD recording, but that would require Jobs back... Reply
  • MikhailT - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Apple bought Authentech, which at the time as considered to be the best in the world.

With the video from Brain here showing that it works great, I'd be surprised if it is not reliable over time.

In addition, this is just perfect for folks with super-long passwords for the app stores, I hate typing it in manually.
  • binaryvisions - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

The videos have looked good, but there's a pretty big difference between recorded videos of pristine phones and real-world usage where you might be holding it off-kilter, or maybe your hands are a little dirty, or the phone has been used enough to have a little oil build-up, or whatever. Reply
  • Stuka87 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

The sensor works at any angle, and can scan sub-epidermal layers. So your hands being dirty should not effect it. This is not like the POS scanners that have been used on many laptops. Obviously time will tell, but I would be extremely surprised if it had issues in regular use. Reply
  • vaffangool - Thursday, September 12, 2013 - link

+1 Agreed. Reply
  • Heartdisease - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

I never use a pass code. I just never let anyone else touch my phone. Reply
  • flyingpants1 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

It's fine so long as it boosts pre-orders. Reply
  • HisDivineOrder - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

Can't wait to hear all the ways you can trick this. I expect some imaginative youtube videos. Reply
  • ashayderov - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

Good luck using IPhone fingerprint reader. Now NSA would be able to match phone number against fingerprints. Reply
  • TareX - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

That thick side bezel is hideous. Reply
  • Stuka87 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Thick bezel?? Compared to what? Reply
  • melgross - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

He's just trying to come up with a negative comment. Reply
  • tuxRoller - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

It failed to respond to some touches.
    There:)
  • KoolAidMan1 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

He's reaching Reply
  • phobos512 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Does the keyboard still always show all caps in IO7 or does it transition from lower case to UPPER CASE? Reply
  • Dman23 - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

Great post again! Really looking forward to the new A7 / M7 chips and the new fingerprint and camera sensors. Looks like the fingerprint sensor is fast and responsive. Definitely liking what I see here Reply
  • Bob Todd - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

I'm assuming China is the big driver for the gold model. Gold and white...my grandmother would love it. In a word, tacky. The other two colors look nice. Reply
  • Impulses - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

I kind of like it, but probably wouldn't opt for it over grey. I'm sure there's a market for it, Apple's usually hyper efficient about it's SKU... I'm surprised they're jumping into the case market whole hog tho, the other case makers can't be happy for first party competition. How thick are those leather cases? I imagine it's lined? Reply
  • Bob Todd - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

Yeah, I also wonder how "grabby" the leather ones are when sliding in/out of pockets. I've been using Diztronic TPU cases for my last few phones and have been very happy (cheap & good fit). But right now I've got a Speck SmartFlex card case on my iPhone 5. I love not having to carry my wallet around. It will be interesting to see how far Apple branches out with their case designs. Reply
  • blacks329 - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

Apple has made cases, (smart) covers and bumpers in the past. They generally tend to be over priced for most people, or don't provide enough features for others. I'm sure they'll sell well enough for Apple, but case manufacturers are not concerned. Reply
  • vshah - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

shouldn't that be "complementary" instead of "complimentary?" Reply
  • theCuriousTask - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - link

What process is A7 built on? It seems like it has a lot of transistors for that die size. Could it be 28nm HKMG or a further die shrink? Reply
  • tabascosauz - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

WOAH! 9 articles dedicated to the iPhone launch in the last 11 hours!

I would have preferred one or two long articles, but I am amazed by the amount of info you guys were able to obtain. Good job as always, Brian and Anand.
  • blacks329 - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

9? Am I missing 6 articles, I only see 1 regarding the 5C and 2 regarding the 5S. Reply
  • flyingpants1 - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

You can't use natural light in the dark, Brian. Reply
  • nitram_tpr - Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - link

Really still $100 for each memory size jump? Oh dear lord :( It must cost Apple less than $5 for the 16gig and $10 for the 32gig for the amounts they buy. Google charge $40 for their 16gig (Nexus 7), which is still a huge markup but less onerous than $100. Reply
  • splidge - Thursday, September 12, 2013 - link

It's called price discrimination. The different price points are nothing to do with what it costs them to make.

Think about Intel, who sells identical chips at different price points depending on clock speed etc.
  • EGGO - Friday, September 13, 2013 - link

Is the connector speed still not USB 3.0? Reply
  • Gimfred - Sunday, September 15, 2013 - link

The flash storage in the phone can't write faster that USB 2 can handle it so there is no use upgrading the connection to USB 3. Till they start using faster flash, it won't happen. Reply
  • rafoix - Monday, September 16, 2013 - link

I'm still amazed that so many technically inclined folks do not grasp this concept.

Some people just want a long specs list even if the specs are not relevant or used. It's an e-peter meter.
  • Rontalk - Sunday, September 15, 2013 - link

Could you test with 3DMark for IOS? Reply
  • tipoo - Sunday, September 15, 2013 - link

Indeed, now that that's out for iOS I think it deserves its own article comparing it to Android. Reply
  • everex11 - Monday, September 16, 2013 - link

my parents in law just got a nearly new gold Nissan Xterra SUV
    only from working part-time off a pc at home. official source......www.pick85.com/